Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Satisfaction

What will satisfy me and you? A kickin' car? Steady job? Marriage? Family? Kicking awesome church family? Comfy retirement?

Here's what David says when confronted by men (likely Saul??) who are trying take him down in Psalm 17 (ESV):

13 Arise, O Lord! Confront him, subdue him!
Deliver my soul from the wicked by your sword,
14 from men by your hand, O Lord,
from men of the world whose portion is in this life. [2]
You fill their womb with treasure; [3]
they are satisfied with children,
and they leave their abundance to their infants.

15 As for me, I shall behold your face in righteousness;
when I awake, I shall be satisfied with your likeness.

He says his enemies can have everything they could want: kids, wealth, power. But ultimately they can't keep it; it just goes to their kiddos.

What does David say will satisfy instead? Beholding God's face in righteousness.

Brothers and sisters do we realize that we have that in Jesus? This is what David wanted more than anything else in the world. And all of the "good things in life" he wished for his enemies.

Friends I need to hear that as I look at med school interviews, questions about what will my life look like in a year or 5 or 20, and a whole host of other concerns that clutter my life. How about you?

No comments: